Hints of price drops for almonds in Spain

The almond market shows little change in prices, waiting for the sector to resume commercial activity after the intense Christmas season. The Albacete Market noted widespread repetitions in almonds, which remain between 5.65 euros per kilo of the Comuna and 8.75 euros per kilo of the Ecological.

However, Mercamurcia registered decreases of between 3 and 7 cents per kilo in all varieties of almonds, except in Ecological, which rose 4 cents per kilo, leaving prices between 5.47 and 8.74 euros per kilo of shelled grain.

The Almond commune, the common name for a mix of different high-quality almonds (Guara, Garrigues, Moncayo…) began the year with a price of 5.56 euros, well above the 4.59 euros of the same week in 2019. But it should be noted that the Ecological is the only one that continues to experience increases in its price reaching this week the highest figure in the last three years.

At the Tortosa fish market all the varieties of almonds also repeated. And at the Reus fish market, they began to quote between 4.05 and 8.25 euros per kilo. In the same market, hazelnuts are between 1.55 and 1.70 euros per pound.

American almond shipments reach a new record

On the other hand, according to the Almond Board of California (ABC) position report in December, shipments reached 205.9 million pounds compared to 199.6 million pounds in 2018, an increase of 3.08%, reaching a new record.

The countries of the Middle East and North Africa continue to lead in the purchase of American almonds, with an overall increase of 62%. On the other hand, constant growth continues in Japan which adds a 14% increase in its purchases of American almonds throughout December 2019.

On the other hand, Southeast Asia fell significantly by 63% as this region is still very much affected by the imposition of US tariffs. Shipments to China (-21%) have been much lower, which together with Vietnam (-84%) have scored the main cuts throughout last December.

Meanwhile, in Western Europe shipments have increased by 14%, and in Spain have increased by 17% compared to December 2018.

According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the crop could reach 2,385 million pounds, which means an increase of 183 million pounds or 8.3% over the previous one, although according to ABC, we must take into account the delay in this campaign, with several important processors still working in January, so the figure could reach 2.46 million.